Mould (Mold) is part of a group of very common organisms called fungi. It is present virtually everywhere, both indoors and outdoors.
Mould may grow indoors in wet or moist areas lacking adequate ventilation. These areas include walls/ wallpaper, ceilings, bathroom tiles, carpets (especially those with jute backing), insulation material and wood. If moisture accumulates in a building mould growth will often occur. This silent killer can be created by a minor leak in a roof or wall cavity which can easily spread throughout your home without being seen. Mould can also become airbourne.
There are many different types of moulds all of which have the potential to cause health problems. Spores are carried in the air and may cause health problems if inhaled by people who are sensitive or allergic to them. Some reactions include running or blocked nose, irritation of the eyes and skin and sometimes wheezing. Occasionally, people may have more severe reactions. Some people may develop an infection, usually in the lungs.
Unfortunately Mould can be easily disguised with a coat of paint or by cleaning the area of the visible Mould spots. Identifying Mould prior to moving in by an accredited inspector is imperative to you and your families health.
Asbestos is a set of six silicate minerals which occur naturally. White asbestos makes up 95% of the asbestos found in buildings.
All types of asbestos tend to break into very tiny fibers. These individual fibers are so small that many must be identified using a microscope. Because asbestos fibers are so small, once released into the air, they may stay suspended there for hours or even days.
Asbestos fibers are also virtually indestructible. They are resistant to chemicals and heat, and they are very stable in the environment. They do not evaporate into air or dissolve in water, and they are not broken down over time. These properties made it very attractive as a a component in building materials and other products such as insulation prior to the 1990’s.
It is important to note that majority of homes built before the 1980’s may have used asbestos related products in the construction. If not properly removed this may be detrimental to your health and the health of your loved ones.
For more information regarding the risks of Asbestos please visit http://www.asbestos.vic.gov.au/
Mould spores are a source of indoor air pollution. Airborne spores can produce allergic reactions in sensitive people similar to hay fever. As inhalation is the most common way for mould to enter into someone’s body, the nose, throat and lungs are the most common areas of the body affected. Spores not only irritate these areas, causing a person to develop a cough or sinusitis, but if left untreated Mould are capable of doing long-term damage to organs.
People who experience allergic reaction to mould spores are also more likely to suffer from asthma.
Long term effects of Mould can cause mental health issues, respiratory problems and can affect the central nervous system.
In addition to the health risks to people, if left untreated Mould is likely to cause structural damage to your home.
Asbestos/ is extremely dangerous for human health. It can cause lung diseases such as asbestosis, emphysema and mesothelioma if the fibres get loose in the air. Mesothelioma being the most common in Australia is a form of cancer which attacks the lining of the lungs and the abdomen. It occurs due to inhaling asbestos fibres which penetrate the lung walls and cause cancer to the lung (pleura). Unfortunately with asbestos related diseases there is no cure and the exposure which can take up to 50 years to develop becomes extremely aggressive once diagnosed.
Thankfully asbestos related products are no longer used in building products. Though, asbestos is still being found in many building products which were used prior to 1990’s. It is important for any one purchasing a house or especially renovating a property to check whether there is asbestos present. This should be done by an accredited inspector who can provide you with the necessary information regarding removal.
Like all of our inspections pricing is subject to a number of different factors. Dwelling size, the construction type and ofcourse the inspection you wish to be carried out.
When it comes to Mould and Asbestos customers do not necessarily need to get both inspections done. If the property was built prior to the 1990’s and have concerns about mould we recommend that both inspections are carried out. The reason for this is that most homes built prior to the 1990’s used Asbestos based building products. Therefore, more often than not there will be asbestos present.
All Ellis Building Inspections customers are provided with a detailed report (including photos of any defects) within 24hrs after scheduled inspection. The report is to the Australian Standards AS/4349.1.and AS/4349.0.
Copyright 2017 Ellis Building Inspections | All Rights Reserved